View Single Post
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 21:06   #37
Car'a'carn

Re: So i finally bought Starcraft

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla
I don't see what all the rage is about, i thought it was a pretty cack game.

There's no feeling of 'destruction' when you send units to attack. That an 90% of the time they get massacred.

What's the secret with this game eh?
the secret is STRATEGY... if you looking for a DOOM-type game (where u can see blood spillin all over the walls) go look at the FPS games not RTS, if you play it enough you eventually start thinking about actual strategy instead of throwing a single-file-line of 200 marines at a row of 24 siege tanks, i doubt even with stim pack they'd get anywhere near those tanks... each unit has certain advantages/disadvantages and you have to consider them before grouping them... e.g. think of cost (minerals/vespene), space taken up (max of 200 - large units take up 6 spaces), fire-power (siege tanks have insane ground range - they shoot farther than they can see but cannot attack air), unit (attack) speed (marines have low hp but if massed early in the game can rapidly destroy a base), etc.
sure building mass carriers / battle cruisers / guardians is effective, not on 1v1 though because the time and resources required are too much for most maps (e.g. easy on bgh but not ladder maps), giving the opponent time to build cheap units (e.g. lings/rines/z's) to mutilate ur base with... you lose once your buildings are gone

when i play on bnet i got bored of playing computers, unless set to insane mode they are no challenge... on insane mode i tend to lose because... well they're insane
now i play against other ppl and i do win more then lose and i get a rush while i'm playing cuz u don't know whether u got the upper hand or not... until you / enemy attacks and you either leave enemy with no base or he kills off your attack and counterstrikes and leaves you with no base...

so basically if you're dying too fast then strategize... though it is a bit late seeing as sc2 is about to come out so you shoulda spent your money on even wc3 or wait out for sc2 (ya i know i'm a blizzard fan)