View Single Post
Unread 5 Dec 2007, 14:24   #1
Daynan

Daynan is an unknown quantity at this point
Galaxy Militia & Structures - Shared Property

Hi everyone,

I am newly returned to the game after many rounds so please forgive me if something like this has been suggested many times before. It is just something I thought of on the way to work this morning and I thought I would share it with you.

My idea is that (after shuffle) in each galaxy slot #1 (eg.1:1:1) would be a galaxy-owned slot, which represents not a planet, but merely a grouping of structures owned by the galaxy. These could be satellites, weapons platforms, wave amplifiers/distorters etc.

This grouping of structures can be attacked directly by Structure targeting ships and so needs to be defended. For this reason each player in the galaxy can donate ships up to 5% of their total value towards the defence of these structures. These ships permanently become the property of the Galaxy Militia and can not be used for attacks, only defence. I'm not sure yet whether or not they should be allowed to leave their base in order to defend planets in the galaxy but probably better not to. This would be a multi racial defence force that would be difficult to attack without a good group effort..

The Militia's strength for repelling waves & covert ops would be based on the total strength of all planets in the galaxy divided by the number of planets in the galaxy plus any bonuses offered by the militia.

The GC of each galaxy will be allowed to spend galaxy funds towards constructing items which will benefit the galaxy or alternatively players can vote towards what gets built next by donating directly toward individual projects on a list. Whichever project raises the full cost first gets constructed first. Galaxies which cooperate will be able to build these structures much faster.

Constructions
The following are constructions that can benefit every planet in the galaxy at the same time. There should be limits on how many of each type of construction can be built.

Weapons Platforms.

These are stationary satellites which can defend every planet in the galaxy at the same time. But multiple battles in the same ticks splits their effectiveness. One fleet attacking the galaxy in the current tick receives 100% effectiveness of the weapons platforms. Two fleets attacking receive 50% effect each. These structures can not be targeted when attacking a planet. They can only be targeted by attacking slot x:x:1 in the galaxy.
There is also a limit to how many of these weapons can be constructed (perhaps based on the galaxy's average value).
This would give smaller players some protection but still allow other small players to get through.

Communications Satellites.
These are essentially wave amplifiers that act as +1 each for every planet in the galaxy at the same time.

Jamming Satellites.
Like Communications Satellites except they work to distort incoming waves.

Research.

Galactic Intelligence Service.
Can raise stealth and alertness of all planets by 10 points in six stages. Stages 1-4 are 2 points each and stages 5-6 are one point each. Each stage costs the same.

Militia vs Militia scans
Viewable by all planets in a galaxy. Can not be used against planets.

I see this as a much better use of galaxy funds than throwing them away on ignorant new players who wouldn't know how best to use them (though that would still remain an option).
This would also help players who have joined up mid round with a head start to catch up to people who have been around longer and make them feel a little less vulnerable and a little more wanted.
It would also slow down people who have farm planets as now there can be risk involved in attacking your farm for roids.

The galaxy militia and its defence will be a rallying point for the galaxy as it serves everyones interests.
I think this would add a new dimension to the game that could spark some renewed interest for veterans of the game and new players alike.

What do you guys think?
Daynan is offline   Reply With Quote