Thread: Royalty
View Single Post
Unread 11 Nov 2005, 02:22   #6
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
There are those who have suggested that I should be abolished because I was old.

But, no I was not suggesting that they should be abolished at all. I was merely asking what purpose they serve. This is not to suggest that they do not serve a purpose, merely that, being raised in a country without royalty, I have not been educated on this point.

I assume the UK has maintained the royalty for a reason. Some in your country accept that reason and there are probably others who do not. I understand the arguments for not having an hereditary monarch, I do not know the arguments in favor of heriditary monarchy.

Charles and Whats-her-name popped over recently and got me to wondering.

Also isn't there an Ice Cube King in Norway?
As an outsider, I think the British still have a crown because there's an established system of elites with deep roots in family and historical institutions. I recently read an article that made the point that one of Africa's political problems is the lack of an established and instutionalised elite. It results in political instability, fighting and violence, and turmoil and you know what Africa is like today. If you look at British society from a functional perspective you'll see that the monarchy still plays an integral role in Britain. No they aren't lords of all ordained by God any more, but it is not obsolete; it very much still a relevant part of how things work in the UK.