View Single Post
Unread 13 May 2009, 16:10   #12
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of
Re: in-game levels of difficulty/expertise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cba
I think every level should have a chance at #1 or else what would be the point in those starters, intermediates playing?? If they cannot win.
True! or true for the intermediate/expert levels anyway - noobs choosing beginner accounts shouldnt be able to be top100 (if theyre that good, they can upgrade to intermediate anytime they want).

So how should intermediate and expert be differentiated? Must be some advantage in being hardcore. How I would do it (with 5mins of thought behind it)

beginner:
- basically a tutorial into the game - most will be expected to upgrade to intermediate during the round sometime (though dont have to). Bit like eve-online, when you start you're heavily protected from the universe, till you know how to play... Key things to the level:
  • ability to evacuate your fleet without manually running it, if you haven't logged in after your incs appear
  • attack and defence etas (involving non-beginner planets) should be increased to stop ppl signing up as beginners to abuse the system. This can be removed once its all balanced out properly.
  • possibly something to auto recall attacks you've sent if you haven't logged in while your attack was sub eta5
  • Less income from roids and a roidcap limit at 750
  • beginners attacking each other cap 25%, otherwise its 10%. beginners can attack anyone they like for 25% cap.
  • Something to strongly advise successful beginner planets upgrade to intermediate if they're doing well.

Intermediate: - allows you to play for the round win (though some drawbacks of course) whilst being generally inactive, but not as protected as beginners.
  • need to think this through

Expert: - allows you to play hardcore, and get benefits for doing so. Doesnt guarantee a better rank than intermediate though.
  • need to think this through

Basically, I just think this is a natural progression... ppl start as beginners, quickly (or slowly) progress to intermediate, where they're fully integrated into the game. Then if addiction sets in, you can go for expert... I would say expert needs to stay, I'm sure all of us have played (and loved) pa hardcore... can't remove that
newt is offline   Reply With Quote