View Single Post
Unread 14 Jul 2005, 14:49   #751
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold
Re: Planet Wars: Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Dachi
It was intended as a qualification. "At least if I do break the processor trying to clean the heatsink, a new and improved one won't cost too much."
Ah, I see now. Heh, well it would take a lot of special 'skill' to damage the processor by cleaning the heatsink - just be sure to remove the fan only and not try to dislodge the solid metal block of the heatsink itself...

And no water damnit

edit - in case you are wondering how I know all this, my computer was giving me hassles a little while back by freezing periodically whilst giving out a series of diagonistic beeps. I though it was the processor overheating so I decided to clean the heat sink since I'd had the machine for over two years without so much as blowing at the dust. Anywho, my old man was up here on holiday at the time and he's an electrical techie with 20+ years in the job behind him so I figured he'd know a few things about cleaning electric circuits. He ended up pulling out a tissue and a few cotton buds... the trick of it you see is to NOT push the dust down further into the sink but rather scrap it off and place the dust on the tissue. That's probably the best advise I can give you.

Concidentally, the problem turned out to not be the processor at all, but the hard drive. Shortly after we went to the trouble of cleaning the damn thing I started getting S.M.A.R.T failures... shortly followed by cyclic redunancy errors

I saved most of my data.

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!

Last edited by Hewitt; 14 Jul 2005 at 15:00.
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote