Thread: The Spectator
View Single Post
Unread 20 May 2008, 14:40   #19
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: The Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I quite like the Spectator. It's far from perfect but it's by far superior to any other political magazine out there. The Swedish education system article that ASG is referring to is quite superb and shows why Cameron's education policy (allowing parents to set up new schools) is an excellent idea that would flourish.
I'm not British, so i've not really heard anything about The Spectator (except its name, like The Guardian). It seems to be a right-wing semi-tabloid though, which i cant say that I would personally spend money on.

That aside, i was seriously concern with Furbeh's mental health when i read that comment of his. I was wondering whether i should send him a "get well soon" card or not. I was shaken.

However, now that i've read the article, i actually think that its a good idea. (!!!). In fact, exceptionally good. My only major concerns would be that curricula would have to be more-or-less standardised so that applicants to universities would be of a consistently (high) level. This being done in consultation with the unis, but IGCSE sounds like a good idea (how does it differ from GCSE? I've done a bit of IGCSE sciences (physics, chem) back when i was in high school as extension... but any Poms care to elaborate for me?).

Still, that's more of a policy point. The cost structure sounds good though. Personally, i'd like the idea of having profit-driven schools though, because otherwise you get the whole "goverment department" mentality, whereby any money you dont spend will just be removed next year, so you might as well spend it, even though its not efficient or necessary to do so. Having a profit motive minimises this quite nicely, whilst not detracting from key educational standards else they loose all their business (kids) next year as they're closer to perfect competition.

I like!
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote