View Single Post
Unread 29 Jul 2006, 08:29   #32
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [Tour de France] Floyd Landis in 'super stage' drug shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
The drug thing is not the point in that part of my argument, the willingness to cheat and lie to get ahead is what I disaprove of.
This is a circular argument though because the post you were originally responding to obviously implied drug used should be allowed. You can't say "I don't think drug use should be allowed because it's cheating". Well, you can, but you won't win any prizes in the judicious use of logic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
You don't appreciate sport at all, you just want to push your own 'drugs r gud' agenda.
Drugs aren't "good" - they're value free for the most part. I just don't really care if people use them to alter their bodies.
Quote:
That is probably because you are a lazy sloth who doesn't appreciate athletics, talent, natural ability, persistence, pain, and sacrifice.
Well I don't really appreciate athletics, no. The others I am more appreciative of if they are applied to something worthwhile rather than running round a track or punching people in the face or something. The top score on Geometry Wars on the Xbox 360 last time I looked was something over 100 million. And I was fairly impressed when I saw some of the videos on Google Video, the guy who did it had obviously developed his skills to a new level. And it's possible to wax lyrical about this awesome example of the human condition, triumphing over adversity, blah, blah. But if you read the interview with the guy, it starts to sound a little pathetic. The guy mentioned his girlfriend leaving him in the period he was playing the game hardcore (I think) and his life now involved getting back from classes and sitting in a darkened room playing for hours on end. And fair enough if he's enjoying himself, but I hardly think what he's doing should be seen as some great object of admiration.

If however you are valuing pain and sacrifice in order to improve performance then separating out drug use seems singularly irrational. Someone is allowed to build muscle mass to the point where it will be a danger to them in late or sit at home playing 360 games 'till they get RSI, someone is allowed to go on a diet where their body is pretty warped, but if they inject in some chemical they're an evil criminal.

But the point stands - if you admire a sportsman so much that you'd want to copy them (if they for example took a dangerous amount of steroids) then I'm hardly going to mourn you when you have a heart-attack. Same for any other idiot who OD's (and yes, that includes people like me).

Obviously children are a different point, but on the whole young children don't (or shouldn't) have the ability to buy dangerous drugs.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote