View Single Post
Unread 14 Apr 2007, 14:03   #36
Gimmick
Banned

Gimmick is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Football] Arsenal

The stadium comment was just that, I thought Arsenal fans called there corporate branded souless stadium Highbury? But maybe instead they want to call it the Emirates, or Asburton Grove.

I was just trying to be polite.

I could write you a whole dissertation on what is wrong with Villa and how during the post victorian years the decline began and why we should have stopped it. I could write about how great a Chairman Doug Ellis actually was, conversely I can write a poem and a novel about why he was the worst thing that ever happened to Villa. I could talk about the Randy Lerner years and wether they have a negative or positive impact on the Villa. Or alternatively I could just go to the games and make my discontent heard from the stands.

My point still stands, Arsenal aren't actually as bad as there fans make it. Heck that is the problem with the top 4 teams. They get so involved in this media hype surrounding them that they think they are better than they probably are. I remember a few months back when Liverpool lost to Arsenal twice in the space of a week. Some members of this forum were calling for Rafas head, why?

Football isn't instant. Unless you are Chelsea. It is an organic process. You will have good harvests and bad harvests, all you can do year on year is try and improve on that.

Arsenal were lucky when they were winning things. I mean they were being challenged by Utd every year, the closest rivals were a poor Chelsea team, an even poorer Liverpool team and lol sometimes Newcastle and Villa. Now if you look at todays football climate, ie the money for what Arsenal are achieving for what they spend, they are in profit. They got unlucky in Europe, the FA cup and the league cup. I think it is very admirable what Wenger has done and I would be very excited if I was an Arsenal fan.

As long as you secure Champions League Qualification then next year will be exciting. Interestingly Arsene Wenger said this today:

"In England, you have the potential of 10 massive clubs and they will not always be asleep.

"To smash in and compete in the top four, you will now have Aston Villa, Newcastle, Tottenham. They are all big clubs with the same potential as Arsenal."

Now don't get me wrong, it must hurt not winning a trophy. Now you feel a bit average. A bit like the rest of the 90 league clubs in the country. Shit isn't it. Not winning anything. But that is football.

I believe Wenger is a genius. I believe the talent he has available is magic. If he can cultivate that into a cup winning team of some sorts next season, ie a mix of youth and experience, pace, width and attacking flair then Arsenal can become the Arsenal of old. Interestingly when Arsenal played Villa at Villa Park, you were playing the new breed of youth, or so it seemed. You won 1-0, but that was a lucky goal and quite frankly you were boring, slow and looked nervous.

I guess if that was the future of Arsenal, I would be just as worried as you are.