View Single Post
Unread 27 Mar 2006, 22:20   #23
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Motivation Duders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
The subject has to be housing. I have had various ideas but none that I feel passionate about.

My first idea was to look at how market reforms in the welfare benefits system would affect vulnerable people. My next idea was to look at rent arrears and different methods of reducing overall arrears (tough stance vs support). Then I was going to look at government attempts to raise standards by central edict.

But to be honest, I just didn't care enough to continue any of those lines of enquiry. I can write 12k words about any old toss but I need to have some sort of angle. If I could somehow summon enough outrage to get going I'd probably be alright but all of the easy rants (i.e. insufficient supply, terrible standards in social housing, etc) have been done to death.
Hmm it does fundamentally come down to lack of new stuff being built though doesn't it?

is there any communist vs capitalist approach to resources you can look at? ie just deal with housing as another resource and apply philosophical arguments to see how they pan out.

To keep the momentum going can you decribe what you want done with housing assuming you became in charge? obviously without resorting to cliches like 'it should be better'

perhaps take a completely different approach

housing is society driven, it has to be a reflection of needs present at that moment in time. An analysis of changing demographics within britain and how the 'house' as a functional item is either coping with that or isn't - is a semi even relevant in britain today?

or whether central government edicts can encompass demographics that encapsulate minority families in the north that perhaps want to live together and druggie hedonistic southerners? ie leave it all to local government.

instead of looking at 'build more' assume more will be built and instead look at how its decided whats built where.

or all the old people living in the good shit and refusing to die thereby increasing the cost of living and decreasing the standard of living and thereby the birth rate for those with working wombs - linking a falling birth rate and viewing change in age demographics (older populatoin) through the prism of housing need.
milo is offline   Reply With Quote