View Single Post
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 07:33   #1
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Ideologies of hate

What I'm going to try to explain will be long and convoluted in all likelihood but I'd like to try to do so. So what do I mean when I speak of an ideology of hate? Like all generalisations it's not that accurate and it's probably not that meaningful but in terms of rubbish generalisations we spend excessive amounts of time pontificating over it's probably worth a thought or two. Ideologies of hate are essentially exclusionary ideologies. They are not limited by classical definitions of liberal or conservative or religious or not religious. They aren't really about what we think but are far more to do with how we think it. If you think I'm wrong and ideologies of hate means something else don't bother telling me because that's not what I'm interested in. It's the concept, not the language we use to describe it that's important.

Ideologies of hate tell you you're a victim, of greedy capitalists, of hate-filled atheists, of invasive religions, the identity isn't really the important thing. The important things you're told are that a) you're a victim b) there is a group to blame and c) we can help you. Immediately you are confronted with a "them and us" scenario. However this all becomes irrelevant because the fact that "we can help you" is the real point behind the polemic. You may have been victimised and there may have been a group to blame but there is rarely a just way of redressing these wrongs and it does not involve the indiscriminate sort of hatred that arises from these ideologies.

Fundamentally ideologies of hate aren't about justice. Justice is not the important thing for a just world is not what is sought. What is sought is an enemy, someone against whom we can define ourselves and pull together. But pulling together is not the desired goal. As with many things the desired goal is power over our fellow human beings. The desire is a fairly "natural" one. People are concerned about the intentions of others. In a world of six billion plus human beings to imagine that there are no people out there who seriously desire to exterminate, enslave or otherwise generally **** up large portions of the world's population is to be short-sighted.

The terrible thing is that ideologies of hate corrupt our reason. They use incidental facts and our human concern to convince us of the necessity of our war. To question is at best misguided, at worst conspiratorial. The goalposts are constantly shifted, the group we are fighting against is once x, y and z, now becomes a, b and c. Pragmatically speaking little changes, we have enemies, they hate us, we have to defeat them before they can seize control over us. The inhumanities which we can excuse because what our enemies would do is far worse are unimaginable.

Ideologies of hate don't need to make sense on any level. All they need to be is sufficiently large for the human mind to fail to grasp the complexity of it all in an instant. Because once that is possible you can always question whether or not you were previously mistaken. Some people believe and do terrible things in the name of all that is good and just, some don't and do them anyways. Some can be swayed by argument, some cannot.

The great enemy of ideologies of hate is human reason. Unfortunately for us this is not an easily won conflict. Sometimes we are tired and fail, sometimes we are weak and cannot succeed and sometimes we're both and not sure what we're after. However we can draw solace in the fact that regardless of its faults we still possess it. Your own ability to reason is the best, indeed it is the only weapon, against those who present you with enemies who do not hate you and wars that they didn't want to fight.

Most people aren't after you. Most people don't give a **** what you're doing. Trust not those who tell you they're doing something for your benefit when you don't understand why. Ideologies of hate succeed when you abdicate your responsibility to use your own reason to determine what is right and wrong. It's not just tolerance, it's humanity.

Every once in a while it's nice to attempt to explain our stupid paradigms of thought you see.