View Single Post
Unread 8 Jul 2006, 18:34   #13
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all
Re: Webdesigners, tell me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrasyn
WHY would you make a page so that when I click the ´BACK´ button, you would reload the site I was on? That is annoying and serves no purpose.

Imagine going in to a store, and they would close the door behind you... I mean what´s that all about.
The previous page is most likley a redirection page, so press your browser's back button you get redirected back to where you were. You can normally get around this by clicking twice in quick succession. One such reason for having to use a redirection may be if your organisation needs to publish a document/whatever with a URL in it. Perhaps it's a page in magazine advertising a new service with a memoarble URL, www.whatever.com/whatever this page may need to be sent for publishing before the actual web content/application has even been written, and most likely when it is it will sit somewhere else based on the website's structure. So the URL you published is just a page the redirects to where the content eventually winds up, you could call it a lack of planning, but it's common practice.
Another reason might be if a link on a page will have to be updated frequently for whatever reason, rather than having to edit the actual page each time, it's simpler to just link to a redirection page and edit that if/when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
I always get annoyed with you're on a "secured" page and click the back button cuz you forgot something on the previous page, and it either gives you a blank screen with a message page cannot be loaded, or it will load, but the form or whatever is now blank.
It's to make sure other people using the computer can't access any possibly sensitive data you may have entered, caching was turned off for the previous page or it was given an instant expiry.

I'm not saying this is the case here, but as a developer myself, people that use the browser back button and get themselves into this situation when I've put a 'Back' button control on the goddamn form will get no sympathy from me. If however there is no 'Back' button on the form the developer is a twat, users should always be given the option of stepping back to the very first page/step if they choose to do so. The only time you don't provide a 'Back' button is if the transaction/request/whatever has actually been completed and they're on the acknowledgement/receipt/success page where is is too late to go back.

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?

Last edited by Emperor Rozenski; 8 Jul 2006 at 18:45.
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote