View Single Post
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 12:47   #51
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: So, what are you stealing today ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Saying 'I don't like it' is not the same as stealing music or illegally distributing music.
Of course it is, and no-one suggested otherwise. I was responding directly to your line of reasoning that no-one is losing money therefore it's not stealing. This, I was attempting to indicate, is false.

I don't use the term stealing when relating to music because I have not deprived someone of the original good. If I broke into someone's FTP, downloaded their music and then deleted their copy then this would much better fit the stealing analogy. But it doesn't matter, you can call it stealing if you want, but then to me that just devalues a perfectly valid term. Stealing is then no longer a bad thing in the vast majority of instances. But as I say, it doesn't matter, and the whole business doesn't surprise me from the content distributers - the people who deliberately use idiotic terms like "piracy" (a serious and often violent offence).
Quote:
I doubt that the homegrown band from next door is not threatening Metallica by playing Master of Puppets in a tiny bar and being paid $30 for it. Not sure though. Anyhow. It's different.
Wallmart isn't threatened by you taking the odd grape without paying. But it's still stealing. Either downloading music isn't stealing or singing music in a karaoke bar is stealing. Just because "Well the RIAA don't care that much" about something doesn't make it less/more of a "theft".

Let's say it could be proved somehow that people downloading MP3s from the internet didn't harm sales of RIAA products. Would this then somehow mean it wasn't theft anymore? That's a weird way of approaching the question.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote