Thread: Tuition Fees
View Single Post
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 23:03   #18
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Tuition Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
If employers dont care about where a degree is from, this is most likely because the contents of the degree arent particularly relevant to what theyre employing you for.
My point is that a 2:2 from a good University is worth more than a 2:1 from a crap University, yet employers don't take this into account in their recruitment process. Sure, the specifics of what you learnt will most of the time be of no real use to your employer but where you went does (or should) matter. Also my point about mickey mouse courses is that the difficulty of courses varies wildly but employers don't care about that, they just care about the grade you got which is just a part of the whole picture. The government should help employers differentiate between high quality graduates and low quality graduates but at the moment all it cares about is packing as many people into University as possible and at the end of it saying "Oh aren't we great, over 50% of our kids now go into higher education."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
The real problem is deeper than this, namely that going to university shouldnt be considered a step on the path to getting a job unless you want to work in a field related to your degree area.
I think it should. Billions of pounds a year are plowed into the University system (like you say, most of it through general taxation) so the least it should have to show for it is some sort of screening process for employers to use when recruiting.

If someone studies English for example, then you could say that the only use they could have for it is becoming an English teacher or lecturer. I don't think so though. A degree that taxes your brain shows that you have some aptitude for learning and (more importantly) that you have the motivation and persistence to complete a 3 year degree. These skills can be used in many different fields, not just one that involves analysing Shakespeare.