View Single Post
Unread 8 May 2007, 13:06   #58
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [Football]Well it's all over

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
So has Sheva.
I'll be more explicit: Sutton is a deep-lying striker who relies on his other teammates to put him in situations to create or score goals. It's why he was so good alongside Shearer as part of the Premiership-winning Blackburn side. At Chelsea he was expected to fit into a completely different style of play - his position just didn't exist. The difference with Shevchenko is that the position of central striker will always exist - take ball on shoulder of defender, put in net, rinse and repeat.

Quote:
I believe it was 11 and he only scored one goal.
No, you'll find that it was ten games. As for the slow start, I have no problem at all with that - a certain Thierry Henry failed to score for his first eight games, but ended the season with 31 goals.

Quote:
No-one saw this with Sheva, but he still did a lot better than Kesman.
Both were flops, Shevchenko a worse flop because of his price-tag.

Quote:
Well that's not really a footballing issue and I can't really remember the ins and outs of the situavion to argue about it.
That's a bit disappointing - I remember it pretty clearly. But here's an except from Wikipedia to jog your memory.

Quote:
Chelsea paid Parma €22.4 million in 2003 for Mutu's transfer as part of new owner Roman Abramovich's spending spree, which made him the most expensive Romanian football player. Four goals in three matches, including two in a 4-2 victory over London rivals Tottenham Hotspur, immediately endeared him to the Stamford Bridge faithful, but the goals dried up as the season progressed. In the 2004/05 season, Mutu had a difficult relationship with the club's new manager José Mourinho, each accusing the other of lying about whether the player was injured for a World Cup qualifying match against the Czech Republic. In September 2004 he failed a drugs test for cocaine, and he was sacked on October 29, 2004. He also received a 7-month ban and a £20,000 fine from The Football Association; the ban ended on 18 May 2005.
You claim that it wasn't a footballing issue. I disagree. He was an important football player for the club who as a member of the first team, affected how the team played its football. The decision to sack him meant that Chelsea automatically lost about £8m on a potential re-sale, as well as not having him around for the 2005/06 season. He didn't have to go - just look at how Paul Merson was treated when he confessed his problems. The FA would have sent him into rehabilitation as opposed to banning him as a result of the Chelsea sacking.

Quote:
Kesman didn't? Sutton didn't? Mutu didn't?

Shevchenko has been playing Italian football for seven years, it's a very different league. He has not come close to what people expected but that might all change next season. Perhaps it won't, perhaps he leaved in the summer and is declared a flop. But as long as he is a Chelsea player he still has the potential to do wonderful things.
It's a different league but even harder to score. As I referred to with Henry earlier, I have no problem with a striker taking some time to bed in. It's when they never start producing that I criticise them.

Oh and any player has the potential to do wonderful things - just ask the Romford Pele.