View Single Post
Unread 24 Jun 2009, 13:28   #21
Yorga
Old Pharte

Yorga is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: MP's Expenses (UK politics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH_H_Crab View Post
The bulk of the electorate are incapable of understanding that the root of this problem is not confined to any one party
I think you're giving the public too little credit here... something I find it hard to believe I'd say to anybdoy! You're right that the vast majority of the electorate are little better than sheep, and don't have a clue what's really going on - but I don't think they believe any one party is the cause of all our problems. I feel the general consensus is that all the parties are as bad as each other, which is why we're still seeing record levels of apathy in the elections. The BNP victories are NOT because more people voting BNP, if you look at the numbers you'll see the seats which they won during the Euro-elections actually had less BNP votes than the previous round. However, their share increased because so many other people have just decided to say "screw the lot of you" and didn't vote for anybody.

In the North, for example, which has traditionally been a labour stronghold for decades, we hated (hate) Mrs Thatcher for the systematic destruction of our industries, rail networks, and lives in general. Many people looked on labout as "their" party, who would step in to save them against the evil tories. Of course, New Labour proved to be more of the same, and proceded to scrap student funding, introduce tuition fees and then top-up fees, continue the privatisation of public sector services and ramp up taxes to the point nobody can afford anything... unless you happen to be working in e.g. banking IN THE CITY OF LONDON. So now, they feel betrayed by the party they've always supported and are basically given the choice of voting for the ppl who are happy to admit they'll screw them over (again), or the people who promise the Earth while stabbing you in the back... or the nationalists. Happily, most choose not to vote - though I'd prefer to see more independents standing as a big FU to the established parties, it's better than a new nazi regime.
Yorga is offline   Reply With Quote