View Single Post
Unread 5 Jan 2006, 04:33   #21
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A British and American cultural conflict

I nearly punched an american marine the other day. Ive never been spoken to so rude in my whole life. He was with some Japanese friends and obviously spoke a good level of Japanese (which I don't). Anyway after some cheering on of him playing darts (he gave a few damn good shots) I started chatting to him, and he was all very friendly enough. Then I started speaking to his Japanese friends, admittedly in really bad Japanese, and he just suddenly clammed up. He was with a girl who might have been his girlfriend, or maybe he was trying to get in there (I think this was more likely). Anyhow, sensing the awkwardness my moves had made to the group I thought I'd start talking to him again, and he just completely ignores me! The bar was loud so I think maybe the guy hasn't heard me, so I tap him on the shoulder and say 'So, really, where are you from?'. At which point his slaps my hand and goes, don't touch me, alright, in a real fronty aggressive manner.

How someone could go from such friendliness to complete hostility in such a short amount of time is completely beyond me, I felt like punching the guy!

Another American I know over here is all over you with emails and phone calls when she has no plans, yet as soon as she gets another offer in any description, completely ignores you.

A third American (don't get me wrong, I call this guy a friend) is a complete boorish lout when he gets drunk. He gets super aggressive and says the most innapropriate stuff, that could never be described as humourous. Nice guy, I'd just rather stay away from him when he's drunk...

Soooooo I've not had the best experience of Americans to date....
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote