View Single Post
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 18:03   #51
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Even the Vatican say Intelligent Design is a load of crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I think the bohm interpretation goes further than that. Even Einstein decried it as unnecessary superstructure.
I havent heard this before, but Einstein died only 3 years after Bohm published his theory so I'm sceptical over whether it's true. Anyway, I dont think too much weight could be given to Einstein's opinion here since he didnt live to see Bell's theorem and the relevant experiments. Einstein believed that there could be a hidden variables interpretation of QM, yet it was later shown that this could only be the case if you were willing to accept some degree of non-locality. Whether this would have caused him to abandon either hidden variables or locality can only be a matter of speculation - in any case, the claim that the superstructure is 'unnecessary' seems wrong.

Quote:
It's a coherent proposition that at the atomic level particles do not have definite positions or velocities.
No it isnt.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean here.The specific values are concerning wave fronts, not particles.
When you describe the interaction of a quantum system with a measuring apparatus in purely quantum mechanical terms, treating the measuring apparatus as being a collection of particles subject to the laws of QM, you end up with the measuring apparatus being in a superposition of states. This in conflict with the fact that we do, in practice, get a single definite measurement. Standard QM gives no explanation of how this is possible - its not that it doesnt explain how we get the value we get (although it doesnt do that either) - it doesnt explain how we can get _any_ value. The standard solution to this is to declare that the measurement apparatus has to be treated as a classical object rather than a quantum one, but this is ad hoc and arbitrary.

Quote:
Standard quantum mechanics is non-local anyways dude.
Sort of, but not in quite the same way. Standard QM navigates around the non-locality issues with a fair bit of handwaving, whereas its very very explicit in Bohm's theory.

Last edited by Nodrog; 25 Jan 2006 at 18:09.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote