View Single Post
Unread 25 Jun 2007, 11:36   #27
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Poland's fairly brilliant EU negotiating strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opi
Well, I see it as a measure or incentive for the countries under the influence of this "Europe" to stick to certain rules, e.g. human rights wise (except Britain, it seems), trying to lower corruption. On the other hand it unites countries with the single current, the free trade zone and Schengen.

I think getting countries closer and tearing down borders is pretty cool. I'd like to see the EU expand beyond Europe's borders, too.
The problem is that France especially sticks to the rules far less than Britain does. Even before BSE, for example, our health and safety measures were far superior to theirs.

I think you have to be careful when alluding to some sort of 'super state'. Most governments have enough problems with their own country, let alone 30-40 odd. The cultural and economic differences are still too different to have anything more than very broad ideals passed down without breaking everything. The UK's economy is still doing better than most of the rest of Europe - hence the strong £ - so why would we want to join the euro to screw it up?