Thread: Alliance limit
View Single Post
Unread 28 Mar 2009, 05:52   #21
Fuzzy

Fuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to behold
Re: Alliance limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_ View Post
The reason alliances tend to fall apart and suck is because of unloyal players, what lower member caps do is just make the people who can't get into the alliance they want to be in go and play in alliances they don't want to be in, and will probably result in them being unloyal and contributing to the alliance crumbling.
hmmm 1 main point to make here

1. why do players want to play in these other alliances? (ie. ascendancy/omen etc.)

whilst i see your point, i dont think its all as 'pure' as you like to make it out. certain groups will always ofc have greater appeal in society to other groups. This is rarely down to some element of morals that group has etc, but more often due to what the individual can gain from being a part of that group. loyalty only seems to last as long as people can gain from it (without trying to be too much of a cynic)

by allowing everyone free will to join who they want etc you put more and more power in the hands of the already powerful: ofc you cant force a player to stick it out with a group like Rock or Orbit, but giving them the option to join asc/omen/ct/nd etc after 1 round in these smaller allies and theyll never have a chance to DEVELOP that loyalty to a particular group. (look at our gal this round _kila_ - considence, AJ and ClimaX all being relatively new players in smaller allies who joined asc. ofc this is their choice, but why did they join ascendancy? imo it was to experience playing the game at a higher level and to have that chance to experience winning. there is nothing wrong with this! but this is trend that will continue to repeat itself round after round if the mechanics allow it, its human nature)

im not trying to say alliance caps are ideal for promoting loyalty, but my point is motives for wanting to join big allies in this game like omen/asc/ct arent 'oh i like how the play' or 'i have friends there' but imo its more like 'i can get a better planet rank there' or 'theyre more likely to win'.

without meaning to get personal ill bring up 2 examples of players i know who highlight this (i hope im not breaking forum rules by doing so!)

1. elviz - how many times does he switch allies? nox r26, denial r27, ct r28, asc r29+30
2. mikee - joins audentes r29, leaves for asc mid-round. leaves/gets kicked from asc r30 and joins omen. leaves omen and afaik reapplies/rejoins asc

now these are two ISOLATED EXAMPLES. i am the first to point that out, however they illustrate my point that its not this undieing loyalty to groups which makes people join them, but individual gain. (im also aware there are others who stick it out with the same groups round after round when they could join 'better' allies: i guess stuhlman at vgn and lukeylove and ND are example of this). it comes down to were you think the balance lies within the playerbase between self interest and loyalty.

with a smaller ally cap i believe we will see more strong core groups of players develop (look at DLR and Factory), be competitive and mostly importantly SURVIVE round after round, whereas the larger, more ambitious new allies just cant cut the proverbial mustard (NoX, Audentes, Omen being examples of this in the past few round)

another essay
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote