View Single Post
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 21:05   #68
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of
Re: Even the Vatican say Intelligent Design is a load of crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
The way you quoted it to support your proposition.
I quoted it to show that I wasn't writing from a completely uninformed perspective. That I have read something is in no way an 'argument' in itself.

Quote:
No, actually. His suggestion was that religion is a powerful force to make good people do evil things, and yet have them think that they are doing good. There are a staggering number of examples of these down the years, I won't insult your intelligence by actually quoting any.
This is silly.

One (obvious, if I may so so) problem with this argument is that it allows for practically anything to be bandied as the 'root of all evil'. Capitalism? Football? Love? Patriotism? Anti-Semetism? Science? The list goes on.

Moreover, how does Dawkins define a 'good' person and 'evil' person?

All Dawkins seems to be pointing out is that people occasionally do bad things and mistakenly think that they are doing good things; and that sometimes religion is a catalyst. That people make mistakes is obvious, and is in fact one of the central tenets of Christianity. All religions are inherently a human structures to some extent, and all are fallible as such. However, religion is not the 'root of all evil', by any means; nor is it sensible to label some people innately 'good' and others evil'.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote