View Single Post
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 20:30   #48
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: the power of music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
My other post made the distinction more clearly, but I'm referring specifically to lyrics written for their own sake. There's nothing wrong with singing. Words often sound nice. A narrative obviously requires some kind of lyrical expression in a song. But I don't like a lyric that is nothing more than an attempt at poetry. There is a clear distinction between lyrics and poetry which is sometimes missed (re. the 'fading into a beautiful night' post earlier).
I'm not 100% confident that I know what you're getting at so here's the deal. I'm going to make several points which I think may be relevant. If so, feel free to reply. If not, feel complelled to reply.

All you seem to be saying is that you dislike bad poetry, which seems a rather obvious thing to say. I'm not sure what criteria you are using to seperate 'lyrics' and 'poetry' into different categories. What if a great poem was sung/read over a good piece of music. What's the difference? Also, what about rap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
Good lyrics should be inseparable from the music they overlay.
So if you can apperciate lyrics when they're written down then they aren't good lyrics?

the effect of music on words can be far more effective than either on their own, e.g. dark lyrics sung over happy music.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote