View Single Post
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 17:18   #46
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of
Re: the power of music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Most pop music relies heavily on repitition which requires the melody provided by singing and lyrics to maintain interest after more than a couple of listens. Could you listen to all of Nevermind by Nirvana if it were purely instrumental? What about Bob Dylan with songs like 'It's OK Ma, (I'm Only Bleeding)' which is seven+ minutes long and has only a couple of variations in the music.
My other post made the distinction more clearly, but I'm referring specifically to lyrics written for their own sake. There's nothing wrong with singing. Words often sound nice. A narrative obviously requires some kind of lyrical expression in a song. But I don't like a lyric that is nothing more than an attempt at poetry. There is a clear distinction between lyrics and poetry which is sometimes missed (re. the 'fading into a beautiful night' post earlier). Good lyrics should be inseparable from the music they overlay.