View Single Post
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 16:32   #354
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Round 30 - Gamethread

I haven't posted on these forums for a bit now, and my new year's promise was to stop babbling about politics. But I'm fairly sure my drunken ramble didn't concern (Galaxy)'tarion scheme, and since I'm lured into this I'll have my word regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
Keizari told me he wasn't joining.
This is no secret. I suppose we've all got our perceptions of this, but it's hardly relevant to the picture as a whole. Someone mentioned that the Omen for round 30 isn't the same. Most certainly, Omen's been a fairly adaptive alliance since it's early days. Back in Silverbullet's (hint #1 here) ******** days, Omen (at that point known as Hydra) was a smaller group described best by the trait Achi named as solidarity. Hydra continued in this fashion to round 13 of Planetarion, as the hot headed battlegroup of Wolfpack. The internal solidarity meant there was never real assimilation to the alliance core (very typical to the sorts of battlegroups), and in a way the feeling was mutual.

The Omen that appeared under it's current name for round 17 was a very different one already. Surely, it was built heavily upon the Hydra core, and the leadership was exclusively (bar later on a pair of officers) Hydra, but the expansion from two dozen to seventy people meant a significant change in structure. Round 18 was in similar fashion, more to do with members going in and out (the eXilition effect) than actual structural changes, and the Omen I was heavily involved with was no longer as much of a solidarity project than a feudal structure. Obviously, the more or less mutual termination of my affairs with the alliance expectedly saw significant changes happen, most significantly the eventual merger with Angels.

I don't think Omen today is any of what it's been. At best, you're looking at a Furious-Omen -like structure with a blend of the old solidarity. It doesn't take a houdini to pull this out of a hat - a simple look at the public channel will reveal it all. Even so, a picture lies more than a thousand words. The question that will define the success of this construct will be of solidarity. Whether it can hold together, and whether Omen can beat it's biggest problem ever - the lack of resilience (although rounds 17 and 18 showed Omen had considerable amounts of this, it sometimes felt like a glass house inside built on a few shaky pillars). It's definately an interesting plan. The involvement and impact of a few big names, a few unusual suspects on this scheme, will play a big role. Will there be solidarity or flagshipping? How will the group sustain a 10 week round?

I'm not lying when I'm saying I'm not taking parts in it, albeit a lot of people probably refuse to believe this statement.

Now that we're done with the history lesson, it's time for some facts. Conspiracy Theory is shit (this shouldn't be news to anyone), Assassin has the sort of a reverse touch of Midas (the bloke, everything he touched turned into gold. in this case, everything the bloke gets stabbed by turns into shit, just look at 1up). NewDawn's always been there, and this will be their strength. Again, since certain groups of players have been pulling the playing down our game -trick a lot, many again refuse to believe Ascendancy's current stature after the clear out that went through there after last round. I'm frankly very surprised that the it didn't happen earlier, as by seeing a lot of faces in the alliance channel I'd never ever really believed that'd end up in Ascendancy. I guess a sponsoring circle jerk was behind this, and the view that the "elitist community had been watered down" was surely accurate. They'll obviously be strong given there'll be someone there to sort out things inevitably, the question might be more about whether they'll fit the ranks required to play a top spot. The outsider stature may help, and the fact that the round's going to be long will, if anything, play for Ascendancy.

It's going to be an interesting round, and given it'll be the last in the history of the game under it's current name, it does have a historical weight like none before which will serve as an incentive for the players to push better than what they've done before. This may prove as a key factor for groups like Omen and Ascendancy.

I believe I've got it all covered there. Surely, we've got ToF, Orbit, Rock, and whatever dirt spawns, but nobody's really expecting - rightfully so - for any of these to actually be more than pawns in the game for the winning spot. And whether tiny insignificant alliance Y ends up 3rd or 7th hardly makes any difference in the end. For whom they play their game for is what does. For the flavour edit text, Vengeance is spamming former members' mailboxes with recruitment mails too, so something relatively insignificant is happening there too.

Excuse me, but I'll have to sign up my planet now. I am playing.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote