Thread: The Environment
View Single Post
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 14:18   #74
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: The Environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc_Mayhem
As I said, it would only work if you reduced the max peak by at least a powerstations.
This is in principle correct, but not quite; most power stations maintain a number of generators (typically four), so that a generator or two can have maintenence go on whilst not inturrupting supply, and also to kick in extra power if it is needed (like on really hot days).

As such, lets say your local station typically runs three generators; turning off your telly wont reduce emissions. However, enough people turning off their telly on a consistent and prolonged basis will give cause for the power station to consider turning off one of their generators, thus saving fuel costs and increasing profits. Now, this is just another case where individually saving energy is a complete and utter waste of time unless everyone else is doing it too - i think there is a special name for it, alas it escapes me at the moment .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
(hybrid cars are something of a hot commodity in the US these days, although I'd prefer one of these).
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! US$92000 for a Car?! plus $30000 for a "reservation fee" so you can buy one in two years time? Waiting periods for cars of that length of time is *so* Soviet Union c1960.

so, 92000+30000, plus $6000 for "accessories" and wahtever = $128 000
128000/0.77 = AU$166233.

You can buy a pretty flash Holden Commodore here for $40 000, and lets say that fuel is $1.10 per litre and you can get 100k/10L for fuel (which is reasonable, Holden figures are obviously lower but this is the real world), that's a brand spanking new Commodore and 114757 litres of fuel, which is what, 11 thousand k worth of travel? Then there are running costs for that other car, and petrol is a hell of alot cheaper in the US too!
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote