View Single Post
Unread 7 Feb 2009, 04:01   #8
Duncan
saint-ciboire de tabarnac

Duncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud of
Re: A Working Class Hero Once Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN View Post
i refuse to believe there wasn't water and shade available. it's a vineyard after all. secondly, she continued working herself, despite not being able anymore. the story doesn't say she was forced to. she was also stupid enough not to bring any drinks herself.
i'd agree the forman and farm deserve a punishment, but how imbeciles like this turn into heroes when they die -merely by their own stupidity- is beyond me. i think Darwin wrote something about people like her.

Seems like the details are a little sketchy. I could see this type of foreman not providing water and breaks to his illegal farm workers though.

Quote:
When Maria collapsed in the fields on May 14, her foreman initially denied that there was anything wrong with her. When she didn't come to on her own, he ordered her daubed with rubbing alcohol to cool her down. When that didn't work, he had her loaded into a van and driven to a local clinic, rather than to a hospital equipped to treat heat-related illnesses -- and with orders that the clinic be told that she had collapsed while exercising so that the company wouldn't be blamed for employing an underage worker.
Regardless, she isn't a hero by any stretch of the imagination. It's a sad case of a poorly educated 17 year old illegal immigrant worker being denied basic worker's rights, which is the main reason she died.
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote