View Single Post
Unread 18 Nov 2006, 12:05   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Studing in the UK, do`s and don`ts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Really?
I'd be interested to see those statistics.

I'm not doubting people actually do use the train but from the (albeit anecdotal) evidence I've seen, trains are used in a much much lower proportion than buses and cars.
A much lower proportion, yes, but that doesn't stop all the trains between Durham and Newcastle (say) being impossibly backed between about 7:30 and 9:00, and indeed of a night; trains are faster and smoother between Durham and Newcastle, and pretty much all the Durham students who go to the Newcastle clubs and whatnot go by train, at least in my experience. Any examination of the frequency of this event must take into consideration that the Durham clubs are by far the worst I've ever experienced, and as I hate all clubs that's saying something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Especially by students (which is what the article is about), I can't think of any university outside London where people would commute to it by train.
Again, Newcastle springs to mind. It's more of a train system than the underground, despite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Thinking of the major cities here - Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham, Bristol, Nottingham etc etc don't have a train network as such.
Trams and metro's yes, but not trains. Liverpool is the only city I can think of with a "train" link.
The Tyne and Wear Metro may be much more linear than the London one, but that's largely because London is much larger; that doesn't mean it shouldn't count as a "train" if the Underground does.

"The Metro is usually described as Britain's first modern light rail system. However, it can be considered a hybrid system, displaying elements of light rail, heavy underground metro, and longer-distance, higher speed suburban and interurban railway systems." says wikipedia on the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
The "London vs other major cities" is the same. Londoners don't mind other cities or the people that live there. They just know that they're a little bit inferior! The other city-goers seem to harbour (as with the Scottish/English situation) a deep resentment to Londoners and everything our great nation's capital stands for.

I was the same when I lived in Exeter - I thought of London as a dirty, bustling, crimeridden hellhole. Now I love the place and can't wait to move back.
Having been to London on many occasions, I can safely say that my opinion of it as a dirty, bustling, crimeridden hellhole which is also far too large is fairly well founded. But then I do think that about Newcastle, Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham and the rest as well.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote