View Single Post
Unread 13 Sep 2007, 22:36   #73
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Stupid police officers and the nonsensical comments they make

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
there's a pretty big distinction to be made here. if you mean involving esoteric philosophical terms wherever possible in order to throw your "opponent" ofcourse, then yeah, it's a bit gay. but trying to involve philosophy in the sense that you're simply analysing beliefs/ideas at the most fundamental level... well that's aces.
Every non-trivial post involves philosophy on some level - it's more an issue of how self-conscious someone is when doing it. People can have a discussion about form and substance without necessarily mentioning those terms explicitly or referencing any philosopher who has discussed the topic*.

Jargon as short-hand is inevitable (and useful) but sometimes terms get in the way of discussion - especially if posts are generally in a conversational style (as here). Your mileage will vary but I personally try to avoid using certain words altogether in informal discussion. If I'm writing a sentence which relies on the term "ontological" then that probably means I've got a paragraph which could do with rewriting.

* - I have some sympathy for name-dropping if it's done to avoid plagarism. I've got an annoying habit IRL of prefixing the source to anything I quote, e.g. "as Woody Allen once said...". It makes me seem like even more of an arse, but I'd prefer that to not correctly attributing material.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote