View Single Post
Unread 5 Jun 2007, 13:18   #49
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Who Wants to Be Second Best?

Roger that.

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/8/4/37504406.pdf

Oddly enough, OECD shows rather low figures. Some ECB statistics will show higher, and the Statistics Finland will at least give higher numbers (on Finland's case). I guess it'll give some hint, though.

edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
I was under the impression that most foodstuffs were VAT-exempt, at least in the UK.
No idea. I think EU only allows a limited number of tax categories, which somewhat reduce the variability you can have on taxing. I'd be brave enough to claim at least a majority of what you'd buy from the local grocery store (I'm not sure how it works in the UK) would automatically include a tax (it'll probably read in the receipt). Even if groceries were extempt, you'll still have the vast majority of other consumer products and services.

edit.

Makes me tempted to find statistics on consumption. Argh. Yes, it seems in UK "most groceries" are exempt. In Finland, there's a 17% VAT on majority of them. Quite a bit of a difference between the two, then. UK seems to be the exception here, though, most other EU countries (Belgium, Germany, France, Netherlands, so on) do have VATs for groceries too.

Last edited by Tietäjä; 5 Jun 2007 at 13:26.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote