View Single Post
Unread 22 Sep 2017, 19:47   #17
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Redesigning the Overview

There seem to be two/three completely separate points in this thread.

On the first one:
The widgets are a nice idea, but will involve quite a lot of rework on existing pages - also, things like gal status / ally defence can get pretty huge, so we'd have to look at some sort of summary. Please bare in mind that, whilst this code has been refactored, the framework was put in place in ~2004 by one developer and one hacker.

On the "just spend one day and bootstrap everything to solve the issue" - please see above. There are 80 pages additional common libraries and I suspect it would take quite some time to boostrap them all.

On the "make an app" - I've seen certainly 6 developers over the last ~10 years say they had time, come in to "help make the game better", and ultimately contribute about 0 lines of code which is still in use. There was actually also a team who went to go and make an app for us 2 years ago or so, and then basically faded and gave up.

Everyone who posts assumes this is actually built with some sort of modern framework, rather than 80k of "legacy code" which has gradually been refactored a bit over 10 years part time. It's a little frustrating.
Crowdsourcing to make this into an app you'd almost have to build the game from scratch; there's only internal perl libraries to call and I doubt anyone would want to use perl to make apps. Even assuming for no graphics, it's a few months and you'd want to do it iteratively as much as you can to get value and grow the app, but you're still talking a couple of developers at a cost of ... well, conservatively, I can't see you paying external professionals less than £5-10k for it, if you take into consideration testing and matching Planetarion code. Happy to be challenged on that.