View Single Post
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 19:05   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Who Wants to Be Second Best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
but I think we've reached a stage where its just silly to claim that theres no meaningful difference between Labour and anyone else
I'd say the only place there is a meaningful difference is on civil liberties stuff like ID cards. Although the Conservatives are certainly better on that particular issue, they cannot exactly be said to have had a glowing track record. When it comes to things like proposed new stop and quiz powers the Conservatives hardly gave a principled defence of liberty. There might have been issues where the Tories have been much better but no instances come to mind. On the anti-terror over-reaction they have generally accused the government of mismanagement and bungling rather than saying their policies are morally wrong.
Quote:
Bush/Blair [...] complete disasters for their respective countries.
Most of this is down to Iraq though, which there's no real evidence that a Conservative government would have done anything much different (and they were the only realistic alternative at the time of the last election). I don't see any big gap between Labour and the Tories on any fundamental issues. The Labour Party seem worse collectively on some libertarian issues (like smoking in pubs, which I doubt the Tories would bother reversing) but the Conservatives are collectively much worse on social policy. There are random little things (like Cameron's downgrading of ecstacy proposal - which even the ****ing police support, and Osborne's proposal to develop open source stuff in government) which are a plus in the Tories column, but they wouldn't have that much of an impact (if they were even implemented, I suspect an ecstacy downgrade would herald such faggotry from the press that they'd not bother).

To take my own area a Tory government wouldn't mean that much - they might extend the right-to-buy a bit but that's about it. Since Brown's rhetoric on becoming leader was about improving people's route to home ownership. So what's the big difference?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote