View Single Post
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 21:56   #93
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Its things like this that make me wish i was still a student :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
Because - and this is an important point so please read slowly so as not to miss anything - you're a teacher. It may be my idealist expectations of such a professional, but they're supposed to teach and not neglect quite a large part of ICT merely because they personally don't find it useful through their lack of experience.
I'll write this slowly, as you seem to have brushed over all my other posts and assumed stuff that I didn't actually say.

I DO teach it. I never said I ignored it. I just don't LIKE teaching it. If I had my way, it would be a tiny tiny part of the curriculum (if at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
I doubt you'll actually try to understand databases in any other way to aid your students' edification
Just for your information, the requirements at Key Stage 3 ICT are the following:
  • finding things out
  • developing ideas and making things happen
  • exchanging and sharing information
  • reviewing, modifying and evaluating work as it progresses
  • breadth of study

Now Access really only falls under those categories in "exchanging and sharing information". It doesn't feature heavily in the National Curriculum at all, and that's because ICT isn't about teaching people how to use Word/Excel/Powerpoint. The idea of teaching is to use those as a tool to learn skills.

For instance, in History you probably hated having to learn the dates of battles or information. You weren't being tested on your memory though. That'd be retarded. You were being trained to think chronologically and to relate one event to another by seeing the repercussions throughout history.