View Single Post
Unread 14 Aug 2007, 19:04   #31
bradleykins

bradleykins is infamous around these partsbradleykins is infamous around these partsbradleykins is infamous around these partsbradleykins is infamous around these parts
Re: The end of british democracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Racism isn't a crime any more than "being scared of terrorists" is. If you go and attack a black guy it's a crime, but then it's also a crime if you go and attack someone you think is a terrorist.
I dont see a point here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
rac·ism /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rey-siz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Key part of this being #2, as a racist you must, without fail be discriminatory towards other people, acting upon that discrimination is a crime, i apologise for not more thoroughly clearing that subject up.

Quote:
In any case, as we're talking about making or repealing laws it seems somewhat surreal to be basing the debate on what is legal and illegal in any case. Holding someone for 90 days without charge was illegal 7 years ago, does that invalidate your position?
I am not, atm, advocating holding someone for 90 days without charge...

Quote:
You also have ignored the first part of my reply to you, which I find particularly amusing as most of the rest of your post commits exactly the same error as I was pointing out.
I see your argument, and i myself fail to come up with a response to it, i know that a bill of rights is used to protect against that, but by not creating these terror laws, that too would be seen as Tyranny of the majority, would it not? that the protection is withheld from those that are not in the majority?

Quote:
It's illegal to kill someone with a tennis racket, that doesn't make tennis rackets illegal.
Again i fail to see you point, your basing a law upon a weapon used? no the law itself identifies the killing as the unlawful part, not the use of a tennis racket, though arguable im sure whatever you use to kill someone would be equally wrong.

Quote:
It's not much of a debate, it's you using logical fallacies to string out an argument that was old when the American constitution was new.
I fail to see why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictionary.com

de·bate /dɪˈbeɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-beyt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -bat·ed, -bat·ing.
–noun
1. a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints: a debate in the Senate on farm price supports.
2. a formal contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers.
3. deliberation; consideration.
4. Archaic. strife; contention.
–verb (used without object)
5. to engage in argument or discussion, as in a legislative or public assembly: When we left, the men were still debating.
6. to participate in a formal debate.
7. to deliberate; consider: I debated with myself whether to tell them the truth or not.
8. Obsolete. to fight; quarrel.
–verb (used with object)
9. to argue or discuss (a question, issue, or the like), as in a legislative or public assembly: They debated the matter of free will.
10. to dispute or disagree about: The homeowners debated the value of a road on the island.
11. to engage in formal argumentation or disputation with (another person, group, etc.): Jones will debate Smith. Harvard will debate Princeton.
12. to deliberate upon; consider: He debated his decision in the matter.
13. Archaic. to contend for or over.
[Origin: 1250–1300; (v.) ME debaten < OF debatre, equiv. to de- de- + batre to beat < L battere, earlier battuere; (n.) ME debat < OF, deriv. of debatre]
Opposing viewpoints?

Or do i need to get the definition of that out too.

Last edited by bradleykins; 14 Aug 2007 at 19:25.
bradleykins is offline   Reply With Quote