Thread: Equality
View Single Post
Unread 6 Jun 2006, 00:14   #27
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Equality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
This is a good point. I think a lot of people have ridiculously high expectations of what they're going to be able to achieve (I know I did/do). This is not a bad thing, but it's fairly ridiculous to assume everyone can be a millionaire or movie star or whatever (although of course anyone can).
I am not quite sure how we would settle this. At a young age, we often have these high expectations (it would perhaps be more right to call them dreams) about becoming the first gazillionaire, being the first football player to win the World Cup three times in a row, etc. We quickly learn that not everyone is meant to do that though, and most people settle for that. We are either restricted by ourself and our abilities, or our environment. In most cases, the restricting factor would be ourself.

I don't think I have a sufficient talent for playing football to ever become a professional player, no matter how much training and assistance I would recieve. It is also something I wouldn't want to prioritise. However, I do believe that I have a sufficient talent for science to become a scientist. Wether this would be chemistry or physics, I don't know, but these are realistic goals. The restricting factor in this case would then be my environment. These are obviously examples, and probably not the best ones you could find. But the idea behind a school where you can fulfill your potential, is obviously that the school is not the restricting factor that renders you unable to achieve your goals.

This will of course be nearly impossible to measure though.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.

Last edited by qebab; 6 Jun 2006 at 01:04.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote