View Single Post
Unread 15 Aug 2007, 17:17   #81
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: What Should be Taught in Schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Wait, what the hell do you support?
I never said I disagreed with the nod/dante argument of inspiring kids and getting them to work without being pushed. I hate the idea of quantifying every child in terms of reports/grades. I just think that education as a whole would be difficult to run without it.

The main problem seems to be giving children (teenagers, especially) work that essentially is dull as shit, and doesn't seem relevant to everyday life at all. Who cares about the Periodic Table? Who cares about the quadratic equation? Who cares what the underlying themes in Macbeth are? If there was a way of adapting all areas of the curriculum to something teens enjoy, then it'd make learning a lot more relevant for them.

I had to cover a Science lesson once and they were doing the Electromagnetic Spectrum. It essentially was just doing work from a textbook, but I tried to explain to them using a mobile phone as an example; how bluetooth was in one place on the spectrum, while infra-red was another, and chatting on their phone was another. It interested them for 5 minutes. I'm not a Science teacher and my knowledge of it is very limited, but you get the idea.