Thread: GIF Ad Banners
View Single Post
Unread 22 Mar 2008, 11:19   #68
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: GIF Ad Banners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
If you teach someone how something works she can use that application or whatever, but if you teach someone why it works (which can be often done through promoting exploration of problems and possible solutions, especially if you want her to internalise that new concept) she can then apply that knowledge elsewhere.
I completely agree. As surprising as some of you may find, I don't like the way that kids are assessed almost entirely quantitatively. I have pupils who are ace with computers, and really know their stuff. They should automatically be given A* or whatever, because their ICT knowledge is pretty advanced. Without all the extra crap of "plan your work", "annotate your work", "evaluate your work", "ensure you complete x, y and z to get high marks" they'd be there. The problem lies in trying to assess everyone equally, and the only realistic way of doing this is through outcomes.

We're told to teach the skills and knowledge (in terms of objectives), yet at the end of the day we're (as teachers AND pupils) judged on the outcomes - what the kids produce. So of course we'll push for the outcome, skipping the "how/why" phase usually. Which is terrible, but it's how our National Curriculum is set up