View Single Post
Unread 11 Jan 2008, 18:50   #81
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Annoying election process begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
It's not all that different on this side of the pond to be honest and it's getting worse.
I agree, but at least the British tend to accept this and display a healthy cynicism towards politics and politicians (although bafflingly they often still vote for the mainstream parties they express jadedness towards). But the Obama campaign seems to have caused a lot of people who should know better to believe that he represents a genuine alternative to the current system. If people were just voting for him because he's the least-bad candidate then it would be understandable, but it seems to be more than that. I suppose there are similarities to the initial New Labour campaign back in the 90s though, especially as both were portrayed as marking the end of a period of darkness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Coverage of American politics is dominated by the tabloid media. The vast majority of people who vote buy into tabloid journalism. Why then would you expect any candidate to do anything other than pander to this?
This is true and I agree. Anyone who wants to have a chance of being elected in the current climate will need to run a campaign based around populism, talking points, and an avoidance of both serious debate and non-superficial speech. Obama isnt any different in this respect, but again, it's his supporter's attitudes I dont understand; it baffles me how hes made so many educated people believe that he's anything other than the latest product of a fundamentally broken system.

Quote:
Or do you think there is a candidate running a more highbow campaign? If so, who?
Theres a few, mainly the fringe candidates who dont have a serious chance of being elected and as such can focus on more fundamental politics rather than on the issues which are currently fashionable. Ron Paul/Ralph Nader/Kucinich are recent examples (I'm not necessarily saying I agree with these people and I generally dont think they go far enough, but they still represent a vast improvement over mainstream politics).

Last edited by Nodrog; 11 Jan 2008 at 19:02.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote