View Single Post
Unread 22 Dec 2009, 14:48   #31
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice
Re: Planetarion the game we love to hate

We're pretty much thinking along the same lines MrLobster, I don't see how the two games can mutually benefit from each other. If the facebook app is a success, Peti won't need the main game, he'll jib the main game, focus on facebook and reap the rewards. As you have so consicely put if the facebook app does entice people to the main game, the main game in it's current state will soon see them quitting the main game (and no the community is not a great appeal of this game, the community by and large pretty much sucks).

Then again if resources are pumped into the main game, will it even need the facebook app?

Further to this... Peti might just have missed the facebook boat by about two years, Planetarion being a text only game has possibilities within facebooks limited scope due to the major success's (i.e. Mafia Wars) being text only. However Dragon Wars, Farmville and co have now introduced point and click aspects to facebook applications. One of the declines (note not the only) of PA was the growth and wealth of other MMORPG's that had more user interface. Basically, they weren't text only. It may just be too late for Planetarion to enjoy facebook success.

The way I see it, pump resources into the main game, introduce RPG elements and lend heavily off the successful MMORPG's. Introduce 'expansions' and 'instances', have set planets from a race of I don't know...the 'elders' who ruled the universe before the current Planetarion races evolved, they have planets guarded by a race of techonologically advanced being, these planets would need like 20 planets to take them on, giving massive xp and resource 'drops'. Introduce constants, such as the long running alliances being given a planet each which doesn't ever reset, has no fleets that can be used to attack, but a ton of bonus's, resource benefits etc that cna be used within the alliance. The home planet being constant could even have full scan power at the start of each round, elimination the need for crappy little scan planets, allowing more players to run actual planets...other alliances would get rewards and such for landing attacks. Offer achievements which can be tracked in game and on a website. Alliance members could even earn achievements which would give constant bonus's, such as by defending the allaince home planet 75 times in one round you are promoted to a fleet commander and have an additional fleet slot in the next round which can only be used for defending an alliance member (or the home planet).

This would give players something to work for and get them involved. You could even add a solo aspect to the game for secondary skills which would add bonus's to your planets production and etc.

W/e... Peti probably know's something we don't about facebook. At least I hope. hehe
DarkHeart is offline   Reply With Quote