View Single Post
Unread 22 Jan 2008, 15:20   #9
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: A question about morality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
However abortion doesn't necessarily kill people. Abortions in this country are done pretty early (first trimester is it? I can't remember), the logic being that the embryo / foetus hasn't become sentient yet and so can't really be considered a person.

I don't know what the word for this argument is (somebody please enlighten me ... a fallacy? A strawman? What?) but it's wrong. It's the same kind of argument as "a woman's right to choose". If a woman's right to choose how to live her life were really so important to society then a lot of things would be different (i'm thinkin work place etc).

I would doubt a newborn child has significantly more sentienence than an embryo. A child's brain is still developing for years after birth. A child is just potential when it's born the same as an embryo so what's the difference?

Approximately 10% of abortions in the UK are undertaken after the first trimester.
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote