View Single Post
Unread 13 May 2009, 15:32   #8
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of
Re: in-game levels of difficulty/expertise

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkee
Im all for making this game more playable for begginers etc.. but imo these suggestions are just a bit too "noob friendly". The skill in this game is what keeps me addicted. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone crashes something at some time.. for me that is a part of the game.
Yeah, in hindsight, I would not include anything for automatically recalling attack fleets, for reasons you've given. However, I disagree with the rest of your post.

The new players would still be playing normal planetarion - with the rest of the universe, but they would be permitted to play inactively (inactive by our standards, probably very actively compared to 'similar' games out there on the internet). And of course, nothing says a new player has to start with a noob account - he can go straight for the expert ones.

The new player can also 'upgrade' his account to a normal one at t300 or so if he wanted to. Basically it gives the new player a chance to get addicted to the game, without being bashed at t72 and onwards simply because ppl leak to alliance mates: "ZOMG X:Y:Z IS A NOOB, HE WONT GET DEFENCE, ATTACK HIM! KILL HIM!" or hes evidently a noob player and thus elviz & co foam at the mouth at the opportunity of 3-waving him, hopefully stealing all his fleet if you're zik.

I honestly don't see how a 'noob account' as I've proposed would stop the new player from getting addicted to the game. If anything it would help him, a lot.

edit: I also like the idea of a learning/skill-curve being explicit in planetarion. Like when you buy a new computer game, you start on easy/normal (unless you're not new to the genre) - then progress to expert - be a bit dull if there was only one difficulty level, generally too hard for the new player to do well in.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote