View Single Post
Unread 14 Mar 2008, 19:46   #13
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Purposefully disabling your child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
I think that very much depends upon your view of what a child is.

Now I may well think that a child is a cost sink future citizen. An expense worth paying. I may feel inclined to indulge it, more likely indulge it's parents in some tabloid inspired fantasy as long as at the end of it I get a citizen who will work toward the benefit of it's fellow citizens.

But supposing my view is evil? Why not view a child as a product of love. Its fate and ultimate purpose devoid of worry about what the state is. Perhaps fantasise that the child might actually create a new state, or even a new utopia. With such a view words such as 'disabled' have no meaning. Deafness is a perfect example. Do we truly need to hear? And regardless of the answer to that question should we not be asking these questions? Is this whole argument nothing more than a move from our race being the passive victims of evolution toward joining with it?

As gods can tell - I care very very little about this.

Let us avoid sensationalism.
No, you're wrong.

A child may be the creation of other human beings but that doesn't mean that those human beings should have complete control over its existence. If they mistreat that child, the child is taken away from them as they are unfit parents. That child has a right not to be mistreated.

A simple question for you and ASG to answer:

Is it acceptable for parents (or, in fact, anyone) to intentionally deafen their child?

If it's not acceptable to do it while that child is alive, why is it ok to design them to be deaf?