View Single Post
Unread 29 Aug 2007, 18:46   #19
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough
Re: The open source idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Out of interest have you seen the latest version of the NDA? It really isn't that bad and has certainly improved quite a lot this year.
He tells the truth.

Really, the only thing it doesn't allow you to do is to work for a competitor to Planetarion for 6 months after your NDA termination.

The rest is stuff that's simple command sense, such as;

-Don't give out peoples personal information if your given access to the accounts db info.
-Don't go leaking game development / new code / current code if given access to it.

That's basically all it limits you from doing. In a sense it's basically a piece of paper covering them if you don't apply an ounce of common sense when dealing with sensitive information behind the game.

It doesn't actually prevent you from doing anything you currently do unless you work for a competitor of the game as said above, but if you did, why do you want to work for this one in the first place anyway?

I think the main issue is an overly large amount of paranoia with these things, people thinking they sign their soul away (joking apart Appoco :P). Before I signed mine I took mine to a lawyer down the road to have a look, it was so short (about a page) that he read it for free.

Working on Planetarion no matter what capacity your role takes is, while tiring at times, quite a rewarding thing when it all comes together and works (much like most things in life).

I reckon people should try to get past this tiny mole hill which is being made a mountain of and try to help out all they can if they want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M
I'd like to see Planetarion improve, I'd also like to help improve Planetarion. However I don't want to sign an NDA to do this.
I do hope you've read it in full before you made that comment.

Secondly, does it not occur to you why the NDA has to be in place? It's not Jolt trying to make life difficult, it's also to stop you (or anyone else) coding a feature of the game, getting it implemented then turning around and saying "actually, I don't want you to use it any more, give it back" and then you suing Jolt for nicking your code.

It's for the same reason that "mind the gap" stickers appear on train platforms, to stop you suing them when you're a retard and fall down the gap.

If everyone tries to get past their phobia of a short 1 page document that I doubt half of you have actually read, you might see it's not that scary and perfectly suitable for its needs.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote