View Single Post
Unread 8 Sep 2008, 08:19   #9
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: I've just had LASEK eye surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat View Post
no, how much was the audiobook?
£1.30 for 3 weeks from the library. I'm more pissed off about that than the surgery money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
How bad were your eyes, and how much better will they become? Did they give an estimate?
Without glasses or contacts I could only read a license plate from a couple of metres away.

My recovery so far is average, and clinical trials report that 96%+ of wavefront patients (that's me!) receive 20/20, 71% get better. Wthout wavefront about 70% of people get 20/20 and there's a higher incidence of night vision problems like glare & haloes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat View Post
1. I don't mind wearing contact lenses enough to fork out £2000 or so (I'd pay more to be assured of decent aftercare etc) to get them done.
Most places offer lifetime aftercare until they discharge you and reports I've heard are good. Iirc Optical Express retreatment rates were 0.9% and the risk of serious complications under 1 in 10,000, so it's pretty safe.

If you're fine with contacts then that's cool. I hated glasses, and even with the extra breathable contact lenses my eyes hurt like a bitch after a night out. Particularly if the club uses smoke machines. And I travel & camp quite a bit and not having to **** around with bottles of contact lens fluid is ftw.

Quote:
2. We don't really know what the long term effects (20 years plus) are of doing this. For all we know, it could make people blind! That's scary!
That's fair. I assume they'll invent something to fix the problem if one develops (& I don't see a theoretical reason for it, LASEK is non-invasive) and in 20 years I'll be rich enough to afford a solution. They'll be able to implant eyes stolen from a third world child or something. Hope they do fair trade so I don't feel bad.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote