View Single Post
Unread 22 May 2006, 10:19   #18
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: We haven't had a book thread in a while

Give Steven Eriksons - Gardens of the Moon a go if you are after good fantasy (assuming you havn't read it before). Various member of this forum will attest to it's brilliance.

I've just finished reading 1984 and A Brave New World, they were both excellent for different reasons. Obviously I enjoyed the distopian world presented in Huxley's book, it seemed a little more plausible, and much more sinister. 1984 didn't grab me as much, perhaps because it seemed a little too bleak. As a 'thought provoking' book it was much better though. I particularly enjoyed the reflections on the use of newspeak to limit and control thought. But that is mostly because I have an academic interest in the philosophy of language.

Now I am reading Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamatzov. It's long and drawn out, as most of his works are, but I find they tend to get better once you've read a good portion of the book. It just takes a while to get drawn in.

Last edited by Cooling; 22 May 2006 at 12:29.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote