View Single Post
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 00:34   #56
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Best Sci-Fi Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Perhaps it was technically stunning on release (I've no idea) but that certainly can't count in its favour since it just looks embarrassing now. I don't recall a single "intellectual" concept that the movie explored which got me thinking, but ymmv.
I mostly agree, but when I first saw it in 1968 it was quite stunning--not especially technically but emotionally. However, that aspect has not stood up.

The biggest thing about 2001 was that it made the genre (Sci Fi films) "respectable." Prior to 2001, Sci Fi films were low budget 'B' movies that the film industry never took very seriously (like, for example, the other notable Sci Fi release of 1968: Planet of the Apes). 2001 got enough favorable reviews (and Academy Award nominations) to change that.

In that respect, I suppose its an influential film though not a great one.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote