View Single Post
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 13:33   #44
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of
Re: the power of music!

There's nothing wrong with it, I suppose. It just sometimes feels a bit like cross-contamination. Music can evoke powerful, primeval feelings extra-linguistically. It's something through which form and content can be blended completely: meaning is contained in the thing itself, innately, without the need for context or clarification. I find that lyrics sometimes confuse matters because it's not possible to pay attention to good (or atrocious, as is more often the case) poetry and good music at the same time. The presence of two conflicting forms of expression blurs the emotional impact of the music.
I love good poetry. I try to read as much of it as I can. But unfortunately I'm not sure I've ever come across lyrics that I would unreservedly call good poetry in their own right. Even if such a thing existed, I don't think it would work. Poetry is most effective when it stands in the shadow of music, and it can have a similar effect, but it is fundamentally a different thing altogether.