View Single Post
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 19:09   #8
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: To Kill or Not to Kill, That Is the Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Is it just me or does it strike anyone else as a bit bizarre that we are wringing our hands over the possible pain of a person that we are killing?
No you're not you're wringing your hands on how ghastly the spectacle is for you. I don't believe for a minute the feelings of the prisoner are paramount in the debate. A firing squad shooting his brains out, a guillotine that decapitates with in one move. They're quick effecient and instantaneous. They're also incredibly bloody and traumatic - for those watching. You* want death but you can't deal with the fact you're killing someone, a nice 'pleasant' death where the condemned goes to sleep saves you the trauma of comprehending what you're doing avoids having to deal with what happened; the prisoner 'just went to sleep'. Strap the mans head to the pointy end of a tank gun and fire it, he won't suffer a bit.

Incidently im against the death penalty** primarily because it doesn't act as a deterrant and because i don't trust the police or the state; but the most effective ways of killing someone are also the most gruesome - the people dying don't care, its only those watching.

*societal you not personal you before texan goes off on one

**yeah yeah i know, the pro gun bit is to defend yourself from an immediate threat not as a form of impartial justice