View Single Post
Unread 16 May 2009, 12:32   #11
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of
Re: The (sad) future of cricket

I'm tempted to just quote jer's last post

One indication that 20-20 leagues are a going to be a long term financial is this season's IPL. Some would say it was only a success because it was in india, with predominantly indian teams with a few superstars thrown in. This time round it got moved with 1month's notice, to south africa, and its still exceptionally popular (ok not all grounds are full, they tend to vary from what I've seen - but overall, decent attendances).

Also the EPL comes in in 2010? or thereabouts - would have been immediate except takes time to modify the english county setup! If I remember correctly (jsut tried googling for the info and failed?!?!?), to begin with it won't be like the IPL in terms of funding - but the 4-day form of the game (needed to produce quality test players) is going to be partly replaced with a 20-20 league, and there is something where counties can buy superstars like the IPL teams can. I wouldn't mind betting, if its a success (almost certainly), more money will be pumped in within a few years and it will be like the IPL, signing players for millions.

Its a bit like a runaway train. 20-20 leagues in england (properly advertised and promoted like the IPL) will be hugely popular. Christ, even I would probably go because it will be a fun day or night out. I've only been to a few county 4day matches (watched a fair few on sky sports though!) and they were horrifically boring. I suppose this is the major reason why 20-20 will gradually dominate world cricket - whilst test cricket will arguably dominate international 20-20s ... in the domestic forms of the game, 20-20 >>>>>>>>>>>>> everything. This in turn over generations will have a huge impact on the quality of test cricketers, and test cricket will simply become a two-innings-oneday match ;/

Also your 5-aside football comparison is a bad one, in my opinion. It would be a financial disaster (its going 'up against' the premiership, which is already a financial phenomena; 20-20 is going up against financial mediocrity in the other forms) that few people would actually watch (there are 5aside masters tournaments for old, but very popular players - few people watch it). Also, those players won't be allowed to play in it by their clubs who already pay them huge amounts... which brings in an option for test cricket to remain the dominant form of cricket - much larger central contracts, which would allow players to maybe attend just one IPL-like league per year. But the players would be answerable and in control of the ECB, like football players are to their clubs. If this doesn't happen, it seems likely that top players won't bother with central contracts and will insted become .. 'mercenaries'. They will choose when and where they play (if wanted), and they get paid per day for performances for England. If the latter happens, test cricket will be dead

Since I love my long posts, I'll write some more. You say the ICC are idiots in terms of finacning/promoting the long format of the game - what should they be doing? I heard Strauss suggest two stupid ideas - a). a test cricket world cup; b). having day-night test matches. I won't even bother pointing out the stupidity of these suggestions, interested to see what yours' are!

edit: I like this football comparison stuff! So I'll make another! in 10years, test matches will be like England friendlies - sure most of the top stars will play (unless they fake injuries and such for more important things). Effort in these games will be lack luster (especially in the field) - a bit like what we can see in the windies already. I guess I don't need to finish this analogy for 20-20 and competitive internationals?

edit #2: My mum's just informed me that the EPL will also have one foreign team in it too? so probably the winners of the IPL or something? don't know.

Last edited by newt; 16 May 2009 at 12:50.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote