View Single Post
Unread 4 Jul 2009, 17:00   #1
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Is Bigger Government Better

On American Independence Day, I watch my country in a mixture of bemusement and alarm. The country was founded on the principle that government needed to be controlled so that it didn't oppress the governed. We set up a government which not only enumerated certain principals but did so in a way to attempt to restrict government and its intrusion into the liberty of the citizenry. Governmental power was specifically restricted by the Bill of Rights. The central government was further restricted by investing the various states with all power not enumerated as belonging to the provence of the central government. That not being enough they then split the power into three separate bodies (executive, legislative and judicial).

However, since that framework was set up, there has been a slow but steady creep toward lager and less restricted power on the part of the central authority. This trend has accelerated over time and is now, in my opinion, reaching escape velocity.

The question is, "Will the individual be well served by the increasing intrusion of the government into the lives of the governed however well intentioned. ?" Also, even if one thinks that the current government will wield it's power in a beneficial way, aren't we running a risk that at some point a malevolent person or group may seize that power and inflict it in a most unfortunate way?

I am particularly concerned that young people seem unconcerned with the continued accumulation of power in the hands of charismatic leaders.