Thread: A Plane Problem
View Single Post
Unread 21 Dec 2006, 13:37   #126
cura
Pro. Elbow Licker

cura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to behold
Re: A Plane Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Because, and i'll repeat this for you as you obviously haven't read the thread, the plane takes off as normal.
the wheels spin twice as fast but doesn't affect the take-off.

Jeez.

I emailed the problem to my housemate (a physics graduate) and he replied within a couple of minutes:

"yes the plane would take off, the wheels would just spin round but the engines are what actually make it move"

Once you get over the incorrect idea that the wheels actually drive the plane then it's pretty simple.
yeh idd I thought about that when I went to get some food

anyway, the speed of the treadmill ALWAYS matches the speed of the plane, so imo it won't get off the ground as the plane needs to gather speed and thus movement before it can lift up..
and I did read "most" of the thread, just disagreeing with what ppl have said

the engines would indeed make the plane move, but until a certain speed is reached it will stay on the ground, and it will not reach that certain speed because the threadmil works against it
cura is offline   Reply With Quote