View Single Post
Unread 12 May 2006, 05:42   #47
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Yo students - AUT strike action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Numerous sources; tuition fees, alumni donations, research grants, corporate funding, various sideprojects, etc etc etc. The point is that the best research universities in the world do compete in a market-like environment and it doesnt seem to have done them much harm.
That doesn't in any convince me that they are competing in a 'market-like' environment. Plus they're Americans, they do things differently over there. Who knows what goes on over yonder... They could still be hitting each other with tomahawks for all I know!

In any case, I'd hazard a guess your comparing apples to oranges.

My point is; perhaps a move to an auditing culture, undoubtedly influenced by American business ideology, is doing the UK educational system far more harm than good. And in any case, is making the lives of lecturers far harder, and their roles far more dilute than the traditional responsibilities of teaching and research.
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote